ZOOM INSTRUCTION FOR STUDENTS
Welcome to Zoom! If you are taking a Hybrid online class, please read through this document quickly before starting your class. This document includes step-by-step instruction for students to participate into Zoom Online Classroom from beginning to end in 3 simple steps!
Check-list items before we start. Make sure:
- You are connected to internet
- Your headset is functional
- Your camera is functional
Step 1: Start Zoom Online class
- Use the join URL sent in an e-mail from Zoom OR
- Log in to your Blackboard, click on your class, on the left column, click “Join class via Zoom”
- You will be redirected to a new window with Zoom meeting. If this is the first time you are using Zoom, you will be asked to install Zoom to your computer/laptop. Choose to install.
- Zoom does frequent updates. You can use this link to check for an updated version prior to logging into your class at least once a month. https://zoom.us/download2
Step 2: When in Zoom meetings
- After opening Zoom meeting in step 1, you will be directed to a window like the one shown below.
- After joining, there will be multiple video windows showing classroom participants and your professor.
- Make sure you switch ON your video. You only need to unmute the audio when you wish to talk.
- Use microphone and earphones or headset with microphone (Do NOT use open computer speakers or audio echo will occur during the class).
- You can check your audio and video settings at any time by clicking the pop-up menu next to the microphone icon and camera icon in the toolbar in the bottom of the Zoom window. By choosing Video settings or Audio Options, you can test your camera/ mic & speakers.
Step 3: Useful functions while in the meeting
During the meeting, there will be multiple occasions where students need to participate into class discussion. Here are the main features Zoom offers for students to interact with the professor and other participants.
Participants and Chat box
- “Participants” allows you to see the list of all participants and their current activities (votes, hand-raise).
- You can chat to everyone online or just the TA using the “Chat” option in the toolbar in the bottom of the Zoom window. The list of the participants available to chat with is present in the drop down menu of the chat box.
Raise/ lower hand, vote Yes/No
- Click on the icon in order to raise hand, vote Yes/No or use any other options available. When your “Raise Hand” icon is ON, professor will see that and call you in for discussion. In order to uncheck the icon, click on it one more time.
- When professor wants to break the class into small groups for discussion (private to the group), break-out room feature will be used. When you are assigned to join a break-out room, you will receive an invitation as shown below. Click “Join” to join your group.
- After joining, you will be directed to your own small group with only your groupmates. You will not be able to contact the class TA unless he/she is also present in your group. If you wish to speak to the TA you will have to exit the breakout room and then send a message using the chat box.
- If you need to share your current desktop screen with the whole class, then follow the 3 steps given below. However, this doesn’t happen frequently in class unless you or your group is giving a presentation in the class.
- Once class is over, you can leave the meeting.
The 3 steps above describe everything you need to know about participating in Zoom online classroom. If you encounter any issues please contact us at our helpline and find more information below.
- If you encounter any issues
Call our hybrid helpline 781-891-3487 (leave a message if no answer) or send us an e-mail at email@example.com
- System requirement for PC and MAC
- How to change the Video Layout
- How to use Side by Side Model
- How to share my computer screen
- Support information for audio and video can be found at:
All students are expected to attend/participate in hybrid classes, either in-person or online. We do our best to record and make class playbacks available for review purposes for students enrolled in hybrid/online courses. Watching playbacks is not a substitute for in-person or online class attendance/participation. Playbacks are an extra benefit provided at the discretion of the program and professor and is not guaranteed to be available for every session (e.g., if there are company/product confidentiality issues/technical problems). Students utilizing playbacks agree not to capture or distribute class recordings in any way.
To play back a recorded class
Go to the class recordings tab of the course Blackboard site, and the recordings of your class should be available one day after the class.